Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Is Utopia Possible?


Week 1

After reading The Politics of Utopia by Jameson- I find myself asking if Utopia is really possible. Utopia is defined as a perfect place. The world we live in is not close to perfect. We have emotions such as- anger, sadness and jealousy that lead to quarrels and misunderstandings. Overall, I think that people are too different and it is too difficult to find a "perfect state" with so many differing views. I actually think that living in a world with so many different people makes the world that more interesting. If everyone was the same then it would be an uninteresting and mundane world with no excitement. Of course I would always push towards world peace and harmony but having people that have no emotions or choose to have no knowledge on political views would be boring. In the movie Sleeper- this is mundane way of life was depicted. The characters represented a life with the need for instant gratification and a language that was simple and dry. I think Utopia is not possible because there are too many different people in the world and if it was ever to be a reality- it would only cause a dreary way of life. Utopia is a good ideal that we can all strive for but never really achieve.


1 comment:

  1. Hi, I would like to share an intensive essay I wrote on Utopia and a possible way to get there. Perhaps you will find it of interest. Really would like to commend you on your website!

    Link: http://vajrakrishna.wordpress.com/2009/05/04/universal-history-and-the-possibility-of-a-utopia/

    ReplyDelete